Walnut Hills High School
Client: Cincinnati Public Schools
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
- A 262,000sf renovation of the 1931 portion of the building was meticulously orchestrated to preserve its timeless grace and historical features while introducing technological advancements for a wireless environment.
- A 83,000sf addition that features houses a new music wing, 15 classrooms, a 1,200-seat gymnasium and a six-lane swimming pool.
- Exterior improvements include new courtyards, plaza and dining area that overlooks the athletic fields.
- New interior finishes lighten and compliment the historic features while delivering a holistic feel to the building comprised of the 1929 main building and the 1999 arts and science addition.
Interesting Fact: As part of this project, coordination of roadway improvements and a traffic impact study was performed. As a result, the traffic flow was redesigned in and around the site to provide better routes and lessen the impact on neighboring streets.
Architecture|Interior Design|Landscape Architecture
The most recent refurbishment of this historic, Cincinnati-based high school included preserving the building’s most beloved features while delivering an advanced, wireless learning environment suitable for 21st Century learning.
"SHP brings much to the table in the depth of their design expertise and is well qualified to handle projects of any scope.”
– Debbie Heldman, Executive Director, Walnut Hills High School Alumni Foundation
"The additions to the existing school provided much needed space including a new modern world language building, a new music lyceum, a natatorium and gymnasium. We have enjoyed our continued partnership with both CPS and the Walnut Hills Alumni Foundation."
– Brandi Bresser, Vice President of Architecture, SHP